Dental implants are tiny titanium screws that are surgically implanted into the jawbone. Titanium implants fuse with the jawbone through a process called osseointegration. This fusion creates a strong foundation for a replacement tooth crown and ensures that it’s stable and secure.
Implants can help your smile
Dental implants improve your smile in three ways:
1. Dental implants can replace missing or severely damaged teeth. Unlike a bridge, an implant doesn’t rely on neighboring teeth for support. In fact, implants are the only restoration option that can prevent jawbone loss.
2. Dental implants help preserve your remaining teeth. When a tooth is missing, your other teeth can shift out of place. This can create alignment problems and even make it difficult to bite and chew. Shifting teeth can lead to the need for more dental work in the future, including braces, crowns, and filling replacements.
3. Dental implants can improve your confidence. Missing teeth can affect your self-esteem. You may feel embarrassed to laugh, talk, or eat around others. Dental implants can help you enjoy your life again.
Are implants right for you?
Dental implants are a great restorative option for many patients as they are a permanent replacement option. When you choose to have a dental implant placed, a titanium post will be surgically placed within your jawbone. This implant will act as the tooth’s root, and over time, it will fuse with the jawbone through a process called osseointegration. Once this process is complete, you will return to our office to have your replacement tooth placed.
Dental implants are a great option for many patients. However, not everyone is a good candidate for dental implants. Fortunately, we have plenty of restorative options that may be better suited to a patient’s needs. For example, if a patient is not a good candidate for dental implants, they may prefer a partial denture or a bridge.
What are the benefits of implants?
Dental implants offer many benefits for patients, including:
- They look and feel like natural teeth. The crowns are customized to match your surrounding teeth, blending in beautifully.
- They are stable. They won’t shift around in your mouth, unlike dentures and dental bridges.
- They restore your ability to speak and eat naturally.
- They protect your oral health and prevent further tooth loss.
- They’re long-lasting. Implants can last decades when properly cared for.
How long do implants last?
The amount of time your dental implants will last depends on a few factors. Traditionally, implants have offered a permanent solution for missing teeth. However, implant technology has evolved and now offers a permanent solution for those who are not eligible for bone grafting.
During your consultation, we will evaluate your oral health and jawbone density to determine if you are eligible for traditional implants. If you are, the implants will last as long as you care for them properly. This means practicing good oral hygiene, including regular brushing and flossing, and possibly more frequent visits to the dentist.
To find out more about the dental services offered at One and Truly Dental, call (516)-759-0086 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist Glen Cove NY at 70 Glen St, #240 Glen Cove, NY, 11542.