A sinus lift, or sinus augmentation, is a surgical procedure that raises the position of the maxillary sinus floor by grafting bone material to the sinus floor.
There are two important reasons for a sinus lift.
1. The maxillary bone is thin and lacks sufficient height.
2. The maxillary sinus needs to be relocated or lifted away from the roots of teeth in the upper jaw.
How is a sinus lift performed?
A sinus lift is performed under local anesthesia and sedation, so patients will not experience any pain during the procedure. Our dentist will create a small incision in the tissue and bone surrounding the molars and premolars. We will then lift the sinus membrane upward, creating more space for the molars and premolars. Once the membrane is lifted, we will insert a bone graft into the space, which supports the sinus membrane and prevents it from
collapsing back into space.
What happens after a sinus lift?
After a sinus lift, there will be some swelling and discomfort, as well as some bleeding at the surgical site. These are normal side effects and will subside over time. These side effects can typically be alleviated with cold compresses. You may also be given medication to help with any pain.
Sinus lift recovery tips
- Rest: Make sure to give your body some time to recover from the surgery. Sleep with your head elevated and use cold compresses to reduce swelling.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity: Your sinus lift recovery can be slowed by strenuous physical activity. Until the swelling has subsided, limit yourself to very gentle activities like walking and yoga.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking can impede your sinus lift recovery by hindering your body’s ability to heal.
- Use postoperative medications: Your dentist may prescribe medications to help with your sinus lift recovery. Follow all instructions exactly as directed.
To find out more about the dental services offered at One and Truly Dental, call (516)-759-0086 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit Dentist in Glen Cove NY at 70 Glen St, #240 Glen Cove, NY, 11542.